samanthareads

Samantha Reads

I love books. And music. My husband, my two wild boys and my friends. Hoodies, tattoos, the late Janis Joplin and Marilyn Monoe. Also Jensen and Supernatural.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Mary Roach
Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2) - Katie McGarry I received a copy of Dare You To from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars.

"My stomach clenches and the chains return. Oh God, no. I've fallen in love with him. I've done it. I've given him power over me."

Gah. So many feelings about this book. I read the first book in the series, Pushing the Limits, and enjoyed it but to be completely honest I did not like Beth. I noticed Dare You To on Netgalley and after seeing some of the reviews I knew I had to read it. And from that point on I was in love. Seriously. I liked Dare You To even more then Echo's and Noah's story. At first I was all, no. I want Isaiah and Beth to be together. Not this Ryan Stone kid. But then Ryan started to "wow" me. So lets go back to chapter one.

It all starts with a dare. Star baseball player Ryan Stone must get the number of the "freaky" girl at the Taco Bell counter. Beth Risk is a bad ass, hardened from an early age and not in the mood to be some random guys play thing. Ryan loses that dare but his thoughts are still with Beth over the next few days. The way her jeans had rips in all the right places and the parting word written on her hand as her friends drove away. "CAN'T".

Ryan Stone is an all American boy. He's "perfect" and his mother and father expect nothing less from him. His grades are kept up, and he's on the fast track to play in the pro's/major leagues after high school. But what most people don't know is that Ryan's parents fight more often then not. Add in his older brothers announcement of being gay and a homophobic father and soon you see that Ryan's life is far from perfect.

Beth Risk has her guard up. It's the only way she can survive. Beth's life isn't easy with a mother that can't stay away from tequila. Not to mention the fact that her mothers boyfriend uses Beth as a punching bag and when Beth disappears to the only place she considers safe said boyfriend takes his rage out on her mother.

When Beth is forced to go live with her uncle in Groveton she's pissed. Her uncle has made the rules clear. Beth steps out of line and Uncle Scott will make sure Beth's mother goes to prison. Beth is no longer allowed contact with her best friend and even worse with her gone there will be no one to care for her mom.

Soon after being in Groveton Beth Risk and "Taco Bell boy" meet again. Ryan sees his chance to win the dare. There's no time limit after all. Beth is cautious around Ryan. She's been hurt by jocks before and she won't let it happen again. Ryan pushes and Beth pulls but in the end there is no denying the sparks that fly between them.

I really don't want to give too much away when it comes to Beth and Ryan so I will stop here. Dare You To is a book that you don't want to miss out on. And in my opinion it's more of a companion book then series. You don't need to read the first book to understand this book.