samanthareads

Samantha Reads

I love books. And music. My husband, my two wild boys and my friends. Hoodies, tattoos, the late Janis Joplin and Marilyn Monoe. Also Jensen and Supernatural.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Mary Roach
The Reece Malcolm List - Amy Spalding I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars

I was excited to receive The Reece Malcolm List. the summary intrigued me and I started reading with high exceptions. In the end the book wasn't that great. In fact I was over the main character, Devan, by the time I was halfway through the book.

After the death of her father Devan moves to LA to live with her mom, Reece. Devan has never met Reece and the few things she even knows about her are kept in list form in a notebook. I thought the book was going to be more about mother/daughter but instead it was more about Devan's sweetly, annoying near perfectness. She is a the perfect choir singer, she is also the perfect friend, the perfect dresser and everybody just loves her.

After being accepted into New City school Devan quickly rises to the top in show choir and in her circle of friends. This is all well and good except in my opinion Reece Malcolm is tossed to the side. The two have little interaction, and perhaps that was the authors point but it didn't work for me. When we finally get to the "meat" of things between mother and daughter it's as if the author rushed through it and then finished it off with a pretty pink bow.

What I did like about the book was Reece and her personality, the list itself and the relationship with Elijah (though short lived)